Monday, March 8, 2010

North hoping selectors see 'bigger picture' to allow him further test stint

Sydney, Mar 8: Australian batsman Marcus North will learn in the next 48 hours if his time as a Test player has come to a close.

Selectors convening this week to name Australia’s Test for the tour of New Zealand, will decide whether they should continue with a struggling North or replace him with all-rounder Cameron White or leg-spinner Steve Smith, who have been in superb form this season.

Several former cricketers are adamant that North must be sacked from the No. 6 spot after a horror series against West Indies and Pakistan, that will allow Australia to experiment with White and Smith for the Ashes series, which is just 10 months away.

North''s place in the Test squad is in doubt after he had a disastrous series against Pakistan, where he scored just 41 runs in three Tests with a top score of 21 and an average of 10.25.

However, despite the figures, North is hopeful that selectors would take a long-term view of his Test career before naming Australia''s Test squad either tomorrow or Wednesday.

“I''m hoping the selectors look at the bigger picture and look over my entire Test career, and the form that I''ve shown against the top teams in the world, and also the big series that I''ve played in,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted North, as having told ABC Radio''s Grandstand program.

“I thought South Africa, England and the West Indies were good series for me and … some low scores in the Pakistan series meant that it was a very lean series for me.”

“I don''t feel like I''m going out there and looking out of touch. I''m making some good starts - don''t get me wrong, I''m very disappointed with that, but I feel like I''ve got a lot to offer in the No.6 position for Australia. It would be a shame for it to end in a couple of days or on that New Zealand tour,” he added.

Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

Sports Newz © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO